Who is a Green Card Holder? 

According to U.S Citizenship and Immigration Services ​​(USCIS) a Green Card holder (permanent resident) is someone who has been granted authorization to live and work in the United States on a permanent basis. As proof of that status, a person is granted a permanent resident card, commonly called a "Green Card." You can become a permanent resident several different ways. Most individuals are sponsored by a family member or employer in the United States. Other individuals may become permanent residents through refugee or asylee status or other humanitarian programs. In some cases, you may be eligible to file for yourself.

Green Cards through Work & Family

CG Immigration law, llc 


How do you qualify for a Green Card? ​

2316 Cherokee Street St. Louis, MO 63118


​(314) 514 - 4248

There are several steps in becoming a Green Card holder. The steps very depending on the category and depends on whether you currently live in or out of the United States. The two Main categories are though work and family: 

Green Card Through Family

Many people get Green Cards (become permanent residents) through family members.

You may be eligible to get a Green Card as: 

an immediate relative of a U.S. citizen, this includes spouses, unmarried children under the age of 21, and parents of U.S. citizen petitioners 21 or older

a family member of a U.S. citizen fitting into a preference category, this includes unmarried sons or daughters over the age of 21, married children of any age, and brothers and sisters of U.S. citizen petitioners 21 or older

a family member of a green card holder, this includes spouses and unmarried children of the sponsoring green card holder

a member of a special category, this can include battered spouse or child (VAWA), a K nonimmigrant, a person born to a foreign diplomat in the United States, a V nonimmigrant or a widow(er) of a U.S. Citizen. 

Green Card Through Work 

The main ways to immigrate based on a job offer or employment are listed below:
Green Card Through a Job Offer: Yo
u may be eligible to become a permanent resident based on an offer of permanent employment in the United States. Most categories require an employer to get a labor certification and then file a Form I-140, Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker, for you. ​

Find out more at ​http://www.uscis.gov/greencard